HealthlinkNY has nine pharmacies participating in the HealthlinkNY Powered by HealtheConnections Health Information Exchange (HIE), and their number is growing. The HIE’s wealth of patient data helps pharmacists become a more active member of the care team. Pharmacies can protect their customers’ health by contributing data such as adherence, active/inactive medication lists, and fill data. Best of all, you can use the HIE to simultaneously provide critical information to all of a patient’s providers: primary care, specialists, home health agencies, care managers, behavioral health, rehabilitation clinics, or long-term care facilities.
How Pharmacies Benefit by Connecting to HealthlinkNY Powered by HealtheConnections:
- You’ll reduce the risk of adverse interactions. You can view all of a patient’s medications, whether they are filled at your pharmacy, a hospital, a mail-order pharmacy or any other pharmacy in New York State.
- You can easily view patient allergy information. You cannot always depend on patients or their families telling you or remembering about medication allergies.
- You can view hospital discharge records. You can verify that a patient’s medications have not changed, or check that a new prescription matches what was prescribed by the hospital.
- It’s easy to view laboratory test results. Several medications, such as blood thinners, require continual blood tests to determine if they are working as prescribed. With HealthlinkNY Powered by HealtheConnections, you can see the results yourself.
- You can check immunization records. Many patients now routinely receive influenza and pneumococcal vaccines at their pharmacy. You can see if your patient is due for a flu shot or other vaccination when he or she visits.
- You’ll communicate more easily with prescribing providers. Pharmacists often need to check a prescription with or request a refill from the prescribing provider. Through HealthlinkNY Powered by HealtheConnections’ HIPAA-compliant Direct Mail service, you can ask the provider questions and receive responses using the HealthlinkNY Powered by HealtheConnnections system.
Services that Benefit Pharmacies: