All 67 hospitals in the Hudson Valley, Southern Tier, and Central New York participate in the HealthlinkNY Powered by HealtheConnections Health Information Exchange (HIE). Hospitals operate more efficiently and save time and money by accessing patient data from the HIE. They also reduce the risk of readmissions because the patient’s primary care and specialty providers can access hospital records and ensure the appropriate follow-up care. In addition, HealthlinkNY Powered by HealthlinkNY sets up alerts so outside providers know when their patients present or are discharged from the hospital.
How Hospitals Benefit by Connecting to HealthlinkNY Powered by HealtheConnections:
- Hospitals can improve quality and operational efficiency. A recent study of emergency rooms found that patient length of stay and consultations by multiple physicians both decreased significantly when physicians accessed patient records in HealthlinkNY Powered by HealtheConnections.
- Hospitals can reduce preventable readmissions. In the same study, looking up patient records on the HIE sharply reduced the odds of readmission within 30 days. Therefore, HIE use can reduce the risk of Medicare payment penalties due to preventable re-hospitalizations.
- The health system saves time and money. With more information at your fingertips, clinicians can rule out possible diagnoses and identify real issues faster. Hospitals also save money by not duplicating tests.
- Public health reporting and monitoring are easier. When hospitals send information to the HIE, the information is made available to county and state public health agencies, which use the data to more easily track, intervene, and report communicable diseases and trends.
- Using the HIE can help reduce medication errors. Medications prescribed by a patient’s other providers can all be found in the HIE, thus reducing the likelihood of overprescribing and adverse drug interactions.