Up to $13,000 for Health Intervention Grants to be Awarded to 10 Orange County Organizations
July 16th, 2018 – HealthlinkNY Community Network and The Orange County Department of Health are seeking applications from schools, worksites, community groups, and other organizations that would like to participate in LIFT Orange Up interventions. The applications are intended to act as catalysts for the development and implementation of community action plan objectives. The LIFT Orange Up grants are intended to implement policy, system, or environmental changes in representative sectors of Orange County, including community-based institutions, worksites, schools, healthcare facilities, and the community at large.
The overall goal of the LIFT Orange Up grants is to implement healthy policies, programs, initiatives, or fitness activities that will benefit communities within Orange County. 13% of adults in Orange County have been diagnosed with diabetes; this the highest rate among Hudson Valley counties. In fact, Orange County’s rate is almost double that of the rest of the Hudson Valley. Sullivan, Rockland, Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, and Ulster Counties, without Orange County included have an average rate of 7.55%. [Source] The LIFT Orange Up grants will implement healthy interventions that will benefit all Orange County residents, especially the adults with diabetes and pre-diabetes.
“We are very excited to be able to fund transformative interventions that align with HealthlinkNY Community Network’s vision of communities where everyone is able to achieve optimal health. Through these interventions, we will work toward our mission of reducing health disparities and improving health outcomes at the community level,” says Staci Romeo, MBA, and Executive Director of HealthlinkNY.
The Orange County Department of Health has had a long-standing relationship with HealthlinkNY. “It is great that we can once again work with HealthlinkNY Community Network in addressing public health concerns in our communities,” stated Chris Ericson, Deputy Commissioner of Health. Organizations can request between $5,000 and $13,000 to complete the activities outlined in their Request for Application (RFA). A maximum of $13,000 will be awarded to a minimum of the 10, top-scoring RFAs. Applicants must be based in Orange County or providing 50% or more of their services to residents of Orange There are varieties of community-based organizations that are eligible for the LIFT Orange Up grants, such as schools, worksites, community groups, and other organizations.
Suggested Eligible Intervention Projects:
- School or community concession stands offering healthier food and beverage options.
- Cafeteria “Make-Over” which can include, but is not limited to: improving food choices, signage, enhanced environmental aesthetics, or additional equipment purchases.
- Increase the opportunity for physical activity before, during, and after the school or work day. This may include, but is not limited to: activity equipment, appropriate curriculum/training/education, bike racks, walking programs, and signage.
- Implementing a community supported agriculture (“CSA”) share program available to community members and/or employees.
- Establish a walking path or trail, or fitness room at a school or workplace.
- Create Joint-use policies for running track, walking paths, fitness rooms, pools.
- Implement street calming measures (traffic lights, pedestrian crossings).
- Create materials and activities related to “complete streets” resolutions or policies.
- Create materials and activities related to updated food standards and/or procurement policies that increase healthy foods in community sites and settings.
To learn more: Please click here to learn more about the LIFT Orange Up grants and click here to see the full Request for Applications document. Questions and inquiries can be directed to: Phillip Ginter, LMSW, MPA Regional Director of Community Initiatives HealthlinkNY Community Network
Toll Free: 844.840.0050